Garrett's AZ blog

Insightful thoughts and the occasional rant. Or occasional thoughts and insightful rants.

October 20, 2004

Iris Dement has finally released a new Album!!!

I've been searching for clues that my favorite musical artist would make a new album since 1996, she's quite private and doesn't seem to care about commercialization. Her last few years have been spent singing duets and harmonies with some of the greats; Ralph Stanley, John Prine, Emmylou Harris. She's done a few singles that are terriffic. But her fans were dying to hear a LOT of her, and MOSTLY her. Now's the time.

The last time I was this excited was when I discovered, with 4 days to spare, that she was to sing in Telluride, CO. Her tour schedule had never brought her into the southwest or rockies when I was here. Nathan and I packed the 4runner with camping gear and drove a day and a half to see her. Her voice filled the Sheriden Opra house, stronger and sweeter than the previous times her voice had accompanied me into the Telluride mountains. Obsessed? Ya, maybe....
Update, 2Nov04. On the way home from work, and before I headed to the polls, I drove to Borders and bought the CD. Just like when I bought her first CD years ago, this one starts out sounding just... different. Of course, her voice is like none other. But being a gospel album with minimum instruments or backups, it builds slow. But on the 11th or 14th song, I can't remember, it starts to permeate the psyche. By the time I switched from the miata sound system to the good stereo at home, the music was getting interesting. Then over dinner it hits me like a wave, washing over me with unique, soulful yet joyous melodies, her unmistakable accent bringing forth memories of Carolina churches and times gone by.